Sherman Scholars Application Process
Thank you for your interest in the Sherman Scholars Program! Complete the interest form to receive more information.
We accept applications from incoming freshmen and transfer students, current UMBC students, and graduate students. After applications are reviewed, we invite select candidates to a Scholar Selection Day to interview with Sherman Program representatives. You may gain admission to the program in either fall or spring. The links below provide details.
First-Year (Freshman) Students Transfer, Current, and MAT Students
– January 15 Priority – April 15 for Fall Admission
– March 15 Regular – November 15 for Spring Admission
If you are applying to UMBC as a new student, you must submit both an admissions application to UMBC and the Sherman Scholars Program. To be awarded a Sherman scholarship, you must be offered admission to UMBC as an undergraduate or Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) candidate.
If you are already a student at UMBC, you need complete the Sherman Program application. We also strongly encourage you to arrange a meeting with Sherman Program staff, Shirelle Ellis-Williams, prior to submitting your application. She can be reached at email@example.com or 410-455-1556.
About the Application:
Applications are submitted online through the Scholarship Retriever site. Applicants are encouraged to prepare draft responses for the following prompts prior to accessing the application.
- Personal Statement – What are your education and career goals? How does the Sherman STEM Teacher Scholars Program fit into those goals?
- Question 2 – How do you feel about working with children from underserved communities?
- Question 3 – Describe your most impactful STEM experience that relates to the grade with which you would like to work.