UMBC is committed to assessment and student outcome measurement. The Sherman Scholars program embraces these efforts and aligns all activities to our identified goals:
Sherman Scholars will:
- cultivate habits of mind to develop as a culturally responsive educator.
- establish authentic and intentional relationships with students.
- develop and mobilize a vision for a student-centered classroom culture and culturally responsive teaching practices.
- engage in productive relationships with families and the school community.
- demonstrate competence and confidence in applying for a teaching position in an urban and/or high-needs school with a focus in Baltimore.
All program components align to these five SLOs, including our program meetings and courses, applied learning experiences, teacher candidate supports, and scholar-led advising.